The Virdin are one of the six tribes of the Ancient North. Virdanes are patient and insightful. Virdanes are often content with the simple pleasures of working with their hands, taking jobs as weavers, millers, butchers, and bakers.
The Virdin value two things very highly: hard work and comfort. Vidanes are willing to put in a day’s work, but only with the knowledge that when they are finished they can put their feet by the fire and relax.
Virdanes take the matter of raising children much as they do any other task, with reliability and patience. Virdin parents often alternate taking care of their children so that one parent can rest comfortably for a while knowing that the other is hard at work raising the young ones. Virdin children are taught the value and reward of dedication and effort by being given many chores. In return, the parents allow their children much more leeway during periods of relaxation. Virdanes are considered adults around 15 or 16, the age when most gain full employment and begin their own lives.
The Virdin speak their own dialect of the common tongue and have their own written language. Virdin script is runic; each word is a single rune, possibly two, with complex stems, curves, and dots representing sounds.
- Abilities: The Virdin are observant and intuitive, but they are also unassertive. +2 Wis, -2 Cha
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Virdanes have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Speed: Virdin base land speed is 30 feet.
- Skills: Virdanes are naturally light on their feet and are remarkably sure-footed. +2 Balance, +2 Move Silently
- Favored Class: Archer. Virdanes with class levels in Archer may roll for hit points twice at each level, taking the higher of the two numbers.