The Forlen are one of the six tribes of the Ancient North. Forlenians are a clever and adaptive tribe. They are most commonly smiths, masons, or carpenters. While few Forlenians are simple bandits or raiders, those skilled in combat often sell their sword to the highest bidder.
Forlen culture values merit above all else. As soon as they can speak, Forlen children are taught to seek achievement and improve themselves. Forlen parents (men and women both share responsibilities as parent and worker) and children rarely have the same occupation, as children seek to impress their parents with prowess in other fields rather than try to outdo them. By age 15 most Forlenians have taken an apprenticeship with a skilled craftsman or set out to create their own field of expertise.
Forlen communities often bustle with frequent travelers (both coming and going). Trade is frequent as Forlen craftsmen sell their goods and purchase the raw materials to create more. Forlenians also take defense quite seriously, and Forlen settlements often have well-armed militias.
Forlenians speak their own dialect of common speech and have use the common alphabet. In fact, the written language used with the common tongue was originally created by a Forlen scholar, it is said.
- Abilities: The Forlen are exceptionally clever and inventive, but they are often physically weak. +2 Int, -2 Str
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Forlenians have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Speed: Forlen base land speed is 30 feet.
- Skills: Forlenians are detail oriented, often seeing what others miss. Their keen observation also makes them skilled at knowing when they’re being lied to. +2 Search, +2 Sense Motive
- Favored Class: Rogue. Forlen with class levels in Rogue may roll for hit points twice at each level, taking the higher of the two numbers.