The Egra (ee-grah) are one of the six tribes of the Ancient North. They are an isolated people with very little care for the troubles of others, even within their own tribe. Most Egrites (ee-grites) are fishers, and they generally live in near rivers or lakes.
Egrites are individualists. Children are cared for, but after age 8 they are left to their own devices during the day while both parents farm, fish, or hunt. Egra parents care for their children until they are old enough to strike out on their own, which most do by 16 at the latest.
Egra settlements are not especially common, as most Egrites are quite independent. Because of the dangers of trying to live alone, however, most Egrites simply live among other tribes. Egrites rarely ask for help, and give aid even more rarely. They are not especially cruel, though they often seem so to non-Egrites.
The Egra speak their own dialect of the common speech, but use the common alphabet in writing.
- Abilities: Egrites are toughened from a young age, but tend to lack foresight and common sense. +2 Con, -2 Wis
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Egrites have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Speed: Egra base land speed is 30 feet.
- Skills: Egrites prefer to take the path less traveled, and their explorations necessitate being able to survive in the wilderness. +2 Climb, +2 Survival
- Favored Class: Barbarian. Egrites with class levels in Barbarian may roll for hit points twice at each level, taking the higher of the two numbers.